SafeSpace is a safe, secure, and confidentially located shelter. The shelter services we provide are comprehensive and specifically designed to anticipate the needs of victims in crisis. These shelter services include:
• 24-hour assistance with a professionally trained staff to assist residents with physical and emotional support, including food, personal items, first aid, and clothing.
• Individual and support group counseling for both adults and children. The entire family benefits from individual and group counseling, education, and the unique healing and support that naturally develop from informal discussions with other residents.
• Comprehensive victim advocacy designed to support and implement empowerment. The staff helps clients assess their needs and establish goals based upon their individual circumstances with a primary focus on both short-term and long-term safety for the family.
• Once basic needs are met, advocates assist residents with long-term goal making including safety planning, education, employment, and housing.
• Our Children’s Coordinator focuses on the unique needs of children in shelter. The long-term effects upon children who witness domestic violence can be devastating. While in shelter, the residents and their children learn alternatives to violent behavior. Parenting skills are taught and/or enhanced to specifically deal with the problems and behaviors associated with children growing up in abusive homes.
• Educational advocacy for children including securing a new and safe school environment, assistance with the coordination of safely transferring information from the former school to the new school, tutoring, and any other advocacy necessary to see that their education is interrupted as minimally as possible.